Friday, May 21, 2010

Junior Anglers

We attended Suson Farm Fridays this morning. The boys were looking forward to a day at the farm, as I told them there would be pony rides, face painting, and hayrides. When we checked in at the tent to get our wristbands, the volunteer showed us where the different activities were being held. We were pleasantly surprised to hear about additional activities not listed on the program flyer.

Will started jumping up and down when he heard her say, "Fishing is located near that pavilion across the lake." For months he has been talking about going fishing, but with the memory of our first and only fishing adventure fresh in my mind, I was not itching to go again. Not to mention that although I am comfortable with putting a worm on a hook, I am not so sure I would know what to do if he actually caught a fish.

So after pony rides, we headed over to the pavilion near the lake. I was so thankful to be greeted by a park ranger and a few volunteers, as they helped the boys hook their worms and cast their lines.

I was absolutely amazed by Will's patience. He cast his line, reeled it in closer to him, and then watched for the bobber to "dance." Once the bobber went under water, he pulled up on the line. Watching him fish was so different from a year ago. He actually left his line in the water, and he was successful.

Will's first catch was a crayfish. He thought it was so funny (as did the volunteers) saying, "I didn't know I could catch a crayfish in a lake with a fishing pole!" He also caught a large "wood bass" and a Bluegill that got away just after being pulled from the water.

Quinn was also extremely patient. The park ranger helped him cast his line, and then he just left it in the water. He alternated between watching the children around him fishing and watching his bobber.

Many times his bobber went underwater, but the fish fled by the time he pulled the hook from the water. On a couple of occasions, the park ranger tried unsuccessfully to help him pull up on the pole when there was a bite. In the end, Quinn caught a fish all on his own. I think he surprised himself!

No comments: