Thursday, November 13, 2008

Facing My Fears: "The Ms. Mary Mack River"

The Meramec River scares me. The Meramec River disgusts me. The Meramec River has very few redeeming qualities: It is deep. It is dark. It is dirty. It is deadly. It is rushing.

Will loves the "Ms. Mary Mack River." He likes to drive over the 141 and 44 Meramec River Bridges. He dreams about being old enough to fish in the Meramec River. Quite often (daily) he wonders about the deep, dark, dirty, deadly, rushing waters.

After setting a few ground rules (specifically "You may not enter the water for any reason."), the boys and I ventured to the Meramec River access at Castlewood Park.

Will explored the sand.

Quinn preferred the gravel.

Will dragged large logs to throw into the water.

Quinn discovered seashells.

The Meramec River still scares me and disgusts me. It is still deep, dark, dirty, deadly, and rushing, but in my opinion it now has at least one redeeming quality. The Meramec River hosted my boys and me for an afternoon of exploration on her banks providing us with wonderful memories, and for that I am grateful!

No comments: