Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"A Cool Park"

We spent a couple of hours the other morning wandering Kiefer Creek at Castlewood State Park. Will was really hoping to explore the "Mary Mack River," but Mommy did not feel comfortable wading into the deep, dark, and sometimes deadly water with two curious boys. Kiefer Creek was perfect! The water was shallow, clear and full of life. With only pails, shovels, and my hands to assist, I was determined to catch some of that wildlife. Will was really counting on me too as he repeatedly asked, "Did you catch a fish? Did you get one? I have my bucket ready for the fish!" After many tries and much frustration, I caught a small crawfish and tiny minnows. I think I need a net next time - those little fish are FAST! Upon walking back to the car, we spotted several birds of prey (six red tail hawks according to Will) circling overhead. Will said, "This is a cool park. So cool! Can we come back again tomorrow?"

Quinn found a cool spot in the shallow water to fill his bucket.

Creating a habitat for the minnows.

Heading toward the rock bridge where Mommy FINALLY caught minnows and a crawfish.

No comments: