Thursday, July 10, 2008

Underlying Lessons

Funny that just the other day I was almost singing the praises of The Berenstain Bears to a girlfriend who was wondering if I ever found them to be too preachy. Will enjoys listening to the stories and often speaks of living in a treehouse. While they are not my favorite series I appreciate the themes such as "too much t.v." or "too much junk food," but reading Mama's New Job has changed my opinion quite a bit.

The book 's description from http://www.berenstainbearstreehouse.com/ reads: "When Mama turns her quilt-making hobby into a business, the Bear family worries that she won't have time for them. But as everyone pitches in to help her, they realize that things aren't so different after all--and they're prouder of Mama than ever!"

My interpretation is a bit different: "When Mama decides to become a business bear and open a quilt shop, sadly things change at home. Mama no longer is able to count jump roping for Sister, help Brother fly his tether plane, or dig fishing worms from the vegetable patch for Papa. Mama also no longer has time to make healthy home cooked meals. Thankfully the extra money from the quilt shop allows the bears to eat greasy burgers and artery clogging french fries at the Burger Bear."

After reading this story Will said, "You not get a job, Mama. If you get a job, then I go with you. I want to be with you. You and Grandma stay home and take care of the babies. Daddy go to work. Will and Quinnie help you and Grandma make dinner for Daddy."

When sharing this story with my sister, at first she did not believe me when I told her the storyline. "Seriously? Mama gets a job, and so they eat fast food?" She wondered why I had the book. She was shocked that I read the book asking, "Did you insert your own commentary as you read?"

Originally I was thinking of adding this book to the garage sale pile, but my sister told me to "set fire to the book immediately." S'mores are sounding pretty good right about now!

No comments: